Saturday 21 April 2012

Edcamp HK - a time for learning


What an interesting day!


I honestly did not know what to expect from the first edcamp in Hong Kong but it was a good experience and I'm very glad that I participated in it and helped to make it happen.


I'd like to say a big thanks to Jen who, having had experience of edcamp inToronto, really facilitated the day and kept it moving.


I'd also like to say a massive thank you to all of those who came! There were about twenty people - and interestingly they were a complete cross-section - not only those 'in' education.


We began the day with a coffee, or a green tea, and then shared where our heart was in education.  I talked to Will who runs learning centres for under-privileged children in Hong Kong.  We had a wonderful discussion.


We then introduced ourselves - and I FINALLY got to meet Di from DC college - we've only met on twitter!


We then moved into smaller groups and talked around three questions - Where are we now?- What do we need to do? (I think) and Where are we going on the future.  


My first conversation I found quite frightening - talking about using face recognition technology to immediately add to data or inform parents of things happening with their children - it all sounded very 'big-brother' to me...  Thanks Merrin for moving it along!


The conversation then turned to cultural differences and then finally to the future.  It was also great to meet (again) Ruth.


Lunch was a salad club.


The afternoon was open for everyone to throw out a question - Mine was...Homework, Yes or No?


Again it really bought to light that there are such vast cultural differences in our amazing world, and who's to say who's right or wrong.


I enjoyed the day and would have even more I think if many more of my colleagues from the profession had been there as well.  It's an interesting format but one that is not for all I think.  


It was a great day and I'd be really interesting in holding another...shall we?

3 comments:

  1. Yes we should - it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please! We definitely need to keep this going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://simplek12.com/tlc/edcamp/ A free book on how to run an edcamp from Simple K12 ... just in case we need it ... would be happy to help as a group ...

    ReplyDelete